Why Manchester City will beat Chelsea in the Premier League this weekend

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini.

Manchester City travel to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday evening, and are desperate for a result to ensure they don’t allow clubs outside of the top-four to gain ground on them in the table.

City in form while Chelsea are spiralling

The Sky Blues are enjoying an upturn in form of late at a time where Chelsea appear to be struggling, so Manuel Pellegrini’s men may fancy their chances of taking advantage. City are coming off the back of an impressive midweek win in the Champions League too, so they will be buoyant going into Saturday’s meeting with the Premier League holders.

Manchester City are fourth in the Premier League table with 57 points 32 games this season, and while …

Gremio snap up Aurelio

Gremio have announced the signing of Fabio Aurelio on a free transfer following his release from Liverpool.

The left-back, who had been at Anfield for six seasons, has put pen to paper on a contract with the Brazilian club that will keep him in Porto Alegre until December 2013.

Aurelio joined Liverpool from Valencia in 2006 but the 32-year-old s time at Anfield was blighted by injuries and he made just 86 appearances for the Premier League outfit.

The Brazilian looked set to part company with the Reds in 2010 when his previous contract with the club expired that summer.

However, Aurelio was subsequently re-signed by Rafa Benitez s successor, Roy Hodgson.

Gremio announced the signing on their official website.

Gremio confirm agreement wi…

Fulham sign Sweden´s Stoor

Fulham signed Sweden defender Fredrik Stoor from Norwegian side Rosenborg on Wednesday, the English Premier League club announced.

The 24-year-old right back has joined the London side on a four-year deal and Fulham manager Roy Hodgson told the Cottagers official website: I am delighted that Fredrik has joined us officially today (Wednesday).

He is a player I have followed for some time through my contacts with the Swedish national team. I watched him closely with his club side and we did a lot of research on him.

Of course I had the opportunity to see him at close hand in the three matches that Sweden played in Euro 2008. and we decided that this was the player for us at right back. Certainly with John Pantsil and Fredrik Stoor we have excellent cover for th…

Lazio 3-1 Juventus: Sarri suffers first defeat with Bianconeri

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Felipe Caicedo netted as Lazio came from behind to shock Juventus 3-1 at home and inflict Maurizio Sarri s first defeat as Bianconeri coach.

Juve, held 2-2 at Sassuolo last time out, took the lead through Cristiano Ronaldo but were pegged back before the break by Luiz Felipe s header in a gripping Serie A encounter.

Juan Cuadrado s red card opened the door for Lazio and they charged through it at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday, Luis Alberto setting up Milinkovic-Savic for a superb strike to edge in front.

There was time for more drama, though, Juve goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny saving Ciro Immobile s penalty, and Caicedo added a third deep in added time to leave Inter two points clear at the top.

Paulo Dybala almost scored an a…

United make Sessegnon contact

Manchester United have made initial contact with Fulham over the possibility of signign Ryan Sessegnon, according to and their sources.

Tottenham Hotspur and Juventus are also said to be interested in the left-footed wide player, but neither of them have taken any concrete steps towards pursuing the interest.

Sessegnon is apparently not very willing to play another season in the Championship after spending one in the Premier League and is open to top-flight offers, and he fits United s needs as a young, homegrown talent. The 19-year-old s 2018/19 season hasn t been exactly smooth. Following the sacking of Slaviša Jokanović and the appointment of Claudio Ranieri back in November, he wasn t playing as regularly as under the Serbian coach, and when Scott Parker took ove…

Luis Fabiano drops Anzhi hint

Sao Paulo striker Luis Fabiano has admitted that he would be open to a summer switch to Anzhi.

The Russian free-spenders have already attracted some of world’s top talent, and they are reportedly lining up a bid for the Brazilian striker.

With the winter transfer window in Russia having closed yesterday, the Dagestan club are likely to revive their interest at the end of the current campaign.

Luis Fabiano, 32, has refused to deny the possibility of joining the Russian club in the summer transfer window.

I can t say anything concrete about it, but anything can happen. It may be interesting to play for Anzhi, the Brazilian by Sky Sports.

Fabiano returned for a second spell at Sao Paulo in the winter of 2011 and has since been producing some ver…

Adkins to take Southampton to tribunal

Nigel Adkins will face former club Southampton in court this summer over a breach in contract regarding his severance payments.

The League Managers Association, who are representing Adkins, confirmed on Wednesday that the matter would be settled via tribunal after previously amicable negotiations fell through, although a hearing date has yet to be confirmed.

There s been a breach of contract, hence why we ve now passed it to the Premier League Managers Arbitration Tribunal, a spokesman told Goal.com.

It wouldn t be appropriate to comment further on the matter.

Adkins spent three years at St Marys, during which he guided Southampton to back-to-back promotions from League One to the top-flight.

But the fan favourite was unexpectedly replaced w…

FA exploring whether Saturday 3pm TV blackout could be lifted for women’s game

The Football Association is looking at whether the women’s game could be exempted from the Saturday afternoon television blackout, Baroness Sue Campbell has told MPs.

Baroness Campbell, the FA’s director of women’s football, told the Culture, Media and Sport committee various options are being looked at to maximise coverage of the game on the back of the England team’s success at the Women’s Euros last summer.

One of those is giving consideration to whether the women’s game could be removed from the restriction on live football coverage between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturdays under Article 48 of the UEFA statutes, which the FA currently chooses to apply.

Campbell said: “I think that consistent of opportunity to view the women’s game is important. I…

Newcastle United travel to Tranmere Rovers in EFL Cup second round

Newcastle United will travel to League Two side Tranmere Rovers in the second round of the EFL Cup.

The Magpies, who are one of the richest clubs in the world, will travel to Prenton Park later this month after Micky Mellon s men beat Accrington Stanley on penalties in the first round on Tuesday.

Frank Lampard s Everton travel to League One outfit Fleetwood Town, while Leeds United host Barnsley at Elland Road.

Aston Villa travel to Bolton Wanderers, Brighton and Hove Albion visit Forest Green Rovers, and Fulham are on the road to Crawley Town.

All fixtures will take place during the week commencing August 22, with the seven Premier League sides in European competition set to join in round three. 

Some big ties coming up in Round Two |

Pochettino to discard three Tottenham players

Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed that Federico Fazio, Nabil Bentaleb and Alex Pritchard should not expect to play a part for Tottenham this season.

The trio were left out of the Spurs squad for the International Champions Cup matches with Juventus and Atletico Madrid this week, along with forward Clinton N Jie, who has been linked with a move to Marseille.

Pochettino claims N Jie was left back in London due to injury but indicated that Fazio, Bentaleb and Pritchard may all begin looking for new clubs.

N Jie is injured he is in London and not available to come, he said ahead of Tuesday s clash with Juve in Melbourne. 

The situation of other three players is very clear. They are not in my plans.

Pritchard has struggled to recover his most promi…