Toledo cornerback Quinyon Mitchell overcame every doubt with emphatic answers on his path to the 2024 NFL Draft. Critics and doubters questioned almost every area of Mitchell's game the past 12 months but he arrives on the doorstep of the 2024 draft as the top-ranked cornerback in this class by leaving no room for naysayers along the way. Mitchell dominated in the MAC with six interceptions and 45 pass breakups the past two seasons with the Rockets. Some wondered if he could have the same impact against Power 5 prospects. Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy, who had other top-ranked draft prospects at the position turn down invitations to the annual pre-draft showcase in Mobile, was an early supporter of Mitchell and provided the stage Mitchell needed in January. Mitchell said he went to the Senior Bowl to compete and with a point to prove. "That I can hang with the big dawgs," Mitchell said. He rapidly rose from the "best non-Power 5 prospect" in the draft to perhaps the top defensive player in the draft. Mitchell is one of 13 prospects invited to sit in the draft green room in Detroit on Thursday. Mitchell turned heads all week at the Senior Bowl and turned his attention to preparing for the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine. He knew his on-field production and lockdown skills displayed at the Senior Bowl would earn high marks. If he could break 4.35 in the 40-yard dash, Mitchell was sure his case for top billing among cornerbacks would be closed. He ran 4.33. But to Mitchell, his wheels were never a question mark. At 193 pounds he ran the 40 in 4.39 seconds at a school timing day last spring. Mitchell said he has been timed even faster since and has a track background. "I didn't come here to be mediocre. I came here to break records," he said before running the 40 at Lucas Oil Stadium. Most major publications place Mitchell in the top 20 picks before the draft, with a few projecting him in the top 10 to the Las Vegas Raiders or Atlanta Falcons. Those teams would likely need to be convinced Mitchell has everything it takes to be a No. 1 cornerback in the NFL. Mitchell was GPS chip-timed at the same top speed as Miami Dolphins All-Pro Tyreek Hill — 23 miles per hour. NFL Next Gen Stats uses the same technology and tracked only three scoring plays over 22 mph in the 2023 regular season: Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf (22.23, Week 13), Bengals running back Chase Brown (22.05 mph, Week 14) and Hill (22.01 mph, Week 5). Already strong with long arms, the 6-foot frame of a No. 1 cornerback in the NFL with physical and competitive gold stars on his scouting report, Toledo coaches praised Mitchell most for his professional approach to football. He applies the attention to detail expected from other coaches — not necessarily 20-something players outside of the Power 5. Mitchell said he considers himself a student of the game, a film addict who likes to tell opponents what's coming based on down and distance before running the route for them. His dedication and desire to be the best are evident in the results. He studies and charts the technique and winning traits of Trent McDuffie (Chiefs) and the Eagles' Darius Slay to make sure he has more answers to doubters at the next level. "The ball will get you paid," Mitchell said. "At the Senior Bowl, I learned every ball that's thrown in the air is worth $2.5 million. I'm just trying to get that money." —Field Level Media Relatedbetting odds calculationsparlay calculator oddsmoneyline bet calculatorhalf points in nflkelly criterion calculatorhow to hedge a bet calculatorclosing spreadsexplain over under bettingparlay in bettinground robin betswhat does ev mean in bettingis hedge betting illegal
Related Posts
Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce says there is no way his could have known about Emmanuel Eboue s one-year ban was imminent when they signed him last month.
The former Arsenal right-back was suspended by FIFA for failing to pay his former agent and the club have given Eboue two weeks to settle the dispute, otherwise he will be sacked.
But Allardyce said there was no way the club could have known Eboue s indiscretion, which backdates to September 2014 when he was fined £22,000 for his non-payment.
There s not really any way the club could have known it because it was purely and simply confidential, the Black Cats boss said.
I asked when this came to light, Would it drop with the FA and the Premier League as a red flag? The answer was no it was confident…
Felix Kroos feels his brother Toni has settled in well to the new Real Madrid regime under Zinedine Zidane, and has no plans to leave the Santiago Bernabeu as far as he is aware despite links with the Premier League.
The Germany international has featured heavily since Zidane took over the Real helm in January and was integral to their Clasico victory over arch-rivals Barcelona on Saturday.
Frenchman Zidane is the third coach he has worked under since making the move to the Spanish capital from Bayern Munich in 2014 for a fee believed to be in the region of €19million, having also played under Carlo Ancelotti and Rafael Benitez.
But despite that changing of the guard and repeated newspaper links with the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal, …
Ryan Bertrand plans talks over his Chelsea future in the close-season and insists he deserves a chance to become a Stamford Bridge regular.
The 24-year-old defender has spent time on loan at six different clubs including his current spell at Aston Villa following his move to Chelsea from Gillingham in 2006.
In total, Bertrand has made just over 50 appearances for Chelsea, but has played in big games for the club, none more so than the 2012 UEFA Champions League final win over Bayern Munich.
Bertrand has also been capped at senior level for England and believes the time is right for him to force his way into the Chelsea first team.
However, he has hinted that he is willing to leave if he is viewed as a squad player.
I ll go back to Chelsea in the summer and …
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini.
Manchester City travel to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday evening, and are desperate for a result to ensure they don’t allow clubs outside of the top-four to gain ground on them in the table.
City in form while Chelsea are spiralling
The Sky Blues are enjoying an upturn in form of late at a time where Chelsea appear to be struggling, so Manuel Pellegrini’s men may fancy their chances of taking advantage. City are coming off the back of an impressive midweek win in the Champions League too, so they will be buoyant going into Saturday’s meeting with the Premier League holders.
Manchester City are fourth in the Premier League table with 57 points 32 games this season, and while …
Gremio have announced the signing of Fabio Aurelio on a free transfer following his release from Liverpool.
The left-back, who had been at Anfield for six seasons, has put pen to paper on a contract with the Brazilian club that will keep him in Porto Alegre until December 2013.
Aurelio joined Liverpool from Valencia in 2006 but the 32-year-old s time at Anfield was blighted by injuries and he made just 86 appearances for the Premier League outfit.
The Brazilian looked set to part company with the Reds in 2010 when his previous contract with the club expired that summer.
However, Aurelio was subsequently re-signed by Rafa Benitez s successor, Roy Hodgson.
Gremio announced the signing on their official website.
Gremio confirm agreement wi…
Fulham signed Sweden defender Fredrik Stoor from Norwegian side Rosenborg on Wednesday, the English Premier League club announced.
The 24-year-old right back has joined the London side on a four-year deal and Fulham manager Roy Hodgson told the Cottagers official website: I am delighted that Fredrik has joined us officially today (Wednesday).
He is a player I have followed for some time through my contacts with the Swedish national team. I watched him closely with his club side and we did a lot of research on him.
Of course I had the opportunity to see him at close hand in the three matches that Sweden played in Euro 2008. and we decided that this was the player for us at right back. Certainly with John Pantsil and Fredrik Stoor we have excellent cover for th…
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Felipe Caicedo netted as Lazio came from behind to shock Juventus 3-1 at home and inflict Maurizio Sarri s first defeat as Bianconeri coach.
Juve, held 2-2 at Sassuolo last time out, took the lead through Cristiano Ronaldo but were pegged back before the break by Luiz Felipe s header in a gripping Serie A encounter.
Juan Cuadrado s red card opened the door for Lazio and they charged through it at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday, Luis Alberto setting up Milinkovic-Savic for a superb strike to edge in front.
There was time for more drama, though, Juve goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny saving Ciro Immobile s penalty, and Caicedo added a third deep in added time to leave Inter two points clear at the top.
Paulo Dybala almost scored an a…
Manchester United have made initial contact with Fulham over the possibility of signign Ryan Sessegnon, according to and their sources.
Tottenham Hotspur and Juventus are also said to be interested in the left-footed wide player, but neither of them have taken any concrete steps towards pursuing the interest.
Sessegnon is apparently not very willing to play another season in the Championship after spending one in the Premier League and is open to top-flight offers, and he fits United s needs as a young, homegrown talent. The 19-year-old s 2018/19 season hasn t been exactly smooth. Following the sacking of Slaviša Jokanović and the appointment of Claudio Ranieri back in November, he wasn t playing as regularly as under the Serbian coach, and when Scott Parker took ove…
Sao Paulo striker Luis Fabiano has admitted that he would be open to a summer switch to Anzhi.
The Russian free-spenders have already attracted some of world’s top talent, and they are reportedly lining up a bid for the Brazilian striker.
With the winter transfer window in Russia having closed yesterday, the Dagestan club are likely to revive their interest at the end of the current campaign.
Luis Fabiano, 32, has refused to deny the possibility of joining the Russian club in the summer transfer window.
I can t say anything concrete about it, but anything can happen. It may be interesting to play for Anzhi, the Brazilian by Sky Sports.
Fabiano returned for a second spell at Sao Paulo in the winter of 2011 and has since been producing some ver…
Nigel Adkins will face former club Southampton in court this summer over a breach in contract regarding his severance payments.
The League Managers Association, who are representing Adkins, confirmed on Wednesday that the matter would be settled via tribunal after previously amicable negotiations fell through, although a hearing date has yet to be confirmed.
There s been a breach of contract, hence why we ve now passed it to the Premier League Managers Arbitration Tribunal, a spokesman told Goal.com.
It wouldn t be appropriate to comment further on the matter.
Adkins spent three years at St Marys, during which he guided Southampton to back-to-back promotions from League One to the top-flight.
But the fan favourite was unexpectedly replaced w…